Sunday, June 13, 2010

June 11 -13, Friday – Sunday - Switzerland

Leysin Switzerland

“I think I can. I think I can.” This line from the children’s storybook, “The Little Engine That Could” echoed through my (Lois’) mind as we chugged up the Switzerland mountain side from Aigle to Leysin, after traveling for 6 hours on the train from Munich, Germany. The first two trains were relaxing means of transportation, but when we boarded our third connecting train a few “yellow flags” were raised in my mind. It was a small (and a bit antiquated in my opinion) cog train, filled with junior high and high school kids on their way home from school. As we slowly ascended the mountain, the view was spectacular, as long as I didn’t think about how far down the valley was and how steep the cliffs we were climbing. We slowly ascended, and I was very happy to see the Leysin train station, relieved to have arrived safely and get off this questionable (in my mind) mode of transportation.

View from the cog train as we climbed the mountain to Leysin

Little did I know the panic that would overtake me within minutes. As the train slowly went onward, we walked to the train station only to find no one there, no one in sight and no public mode of transportation. Jim opened up the map on our laptop and found we were a couple miles from our Swiss Chalet. Since we had no way to call anyone, he said we would have to start walking. I was scared, tired, and not a happy traveler at that moment.

Just as we started walking (pulling our suitcases and wearing our backpacks) a van pulled up and young man got out. “Are you Jim?” he greeted us. Here was the manager of the chalet we had rented. He told us there were more than one train stations in Leysin and that he was waiting at the station where we should have gotten off. When we were not on the train he figured we had gotten off too early and came looking for us. I must say I thought Blaise was an angel God sent to deliver us in response to my SOS prayer!

I know I have to take the same train down the mountain in a few days, but hopefully going down will be less stressful and knowing there are better trains ahead will be good incentive!

We were happy to get to our comfy chalet, with a deck overlooking a meadow of wild flowers and a panoramic view of the Swiss Alps. We took a walk into the village, to the tourist center, the grocery store and a local restaurant. Leysin is a quiet village right now, being the off-season from their ski tourists. I thought it was hilly in Austria. The incline of these hills made Seefeld streets look like gentle slopes. The one advantage is that we walk uphill to get to the village and downhill back to our chalet.

We are staying in the upper level of the brown 'chalet' on the right

This is a good place to rest and relax. We decided to buy groceries and cook most of our meals while we are here. Today is the first day since we left home that we never left our dwelling place. Mornings have been so cloudy (we are so high we are actually in the clouds) but throughout the day it clears up. We hope we get one day of good sunshine and blue skies while we are in Switzerland.

View from our deck and living room
Horses are in a pasture next to us

We continue to review all our notes of Egypt, Jordan, Israel and Germany to help us retain more of what we have seen and experienced. It was good to talk to each of kids this weekend as well as our parents.

Our internet connection is slow and I can only get a signal sitting outside.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. What a pretty place and a different way of life! Reminds me of Heidi.

    ReplyDelete